Thursday, April 22, 2010

I hate these glasses

hate glases

This is the worst pair of glasses I have ever owned and I’ve been wearing glasses since the spring of my third grade year.

They have gradient lenses, which are supposed to give a smooth transition from far to near, rather than the segmented approach seen in bifocals and trifocals. The problem is that I can’t find anyplace in their entire refractive spectrum that works for a computer screen. And distance viewing isn’t sharp either.

That’s why I’ve been wearing my contact lenses and using reading glasses for computer work for the past seven months. I haven’t taken them back because I just dread dealing with the dull-witted mouth-breathers at the optometrist’s office and the dispensary.

But enough is enough. I’m taking them in today and asking them to check them against the prescription. My bet is that they’re not even close.

I could have gotten better work for much less at Walmart.

1 comment:

Rich said...

John,
I wear the reading glasses over contacts also, it works well enough. My eyes are well corrected for distance/driving with the contacts, and I can use the of the shelf readers, so they don't cost very much. I keep a pair at my desk(s) have a few pairs lying around where I use them frequently. I found that computer work requires about 0.25 diopter less power than reading printed material since I sit further from the monitor than I do from my book/magazine/newspaper.