Sunday, June 07, 2009

More memory for the Mini 9

sandiskultrabackup16gb The 8 GB capacity of the SSD (Solid State Drive) is the Achilles heel of my Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook.

There are bigger SSDs out there, but they're not cheap. The easier fix is to add a flash drive or two. I've been using an 8 GB SanDisk flash drive to hold all of the photos I shoot on the road, as well as anything else I download with the Mini 9, so that nothing but essential programs gets onto the internal SSD.

An Office Depot sale flyer caught my attention this week, advertising a too-tempting deal on the SanDisk Ultra Backup 16 GB flash drive which, when paired with my 8 GB flash drive, should give me plenty of storage for photos from the road. It has the added feature of providing password protected encryption of the stored files.

This should do quite nicely until 32 GB flash drives drop into this price range in 12-18 months.

No comments: