Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Future music from the past

futura I sold this CD on Amazon.com today for $12 and change. I bought the original vinyl album back in 1961 when I was in high school. Our concert band was struggling with Pentagon (Track 9) and I was keen to hear how it was supposed to sound. Pentagon, as the name suggests, is in 5/4 time and it was our first and only adventure into that oddball time signature.
I still have the vinyl LP and I bought the CD when I discovered it a few years ago.
It's part of the RCA "Stereo Action" series where instruments float from left to right and back again, just to make sure you notice it's not in mono.
Band leader Bernie Green conceived of the compositions as a vision of what popular music would sound like in the far-off future year of 1970.
Seen in that light, the music is laughable. But laughing is fun and some of the music is very catchy in an Esquivel-like way.
Bernie obviously didn't anticipate disco and the other musical trends of the '70s. He didn't even come close.
But that's beside the point. This CD is a valuable addition to any serious audiophile's library.


No comments: