Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Probing the Parkway


I explored farther north on the Crowley's Ridge Parkway scenic route yesterday afternoon on a pleasant 125-mile motorcycle ride.
I took the route as far north and east as Piggott before picking up U.S. 49 for a quick run home.
It was a sunny day with temperatures in the low 70s and the crop dusters were out by the squadrons spraying the cotton fields. I managed to avoid getting sprayed, but did catch a whiff of agrochemical as I rode past one freshly dusted field.
The parkway is really just a series of Arkansas and U.S. highways and lacks the consistency and elegance of the Blue Ridge Parkway or the Natchez Trace. That said, it is a great twisty road with lots of elevation changes with the occasional digression out into the flatlands to the west of Crowley's Ridge.
There's rain in the forecast for the next few days, but I hope to explore the southern section of the route later this spring.

No comments: