Thursday, September 27, 2007

On Safari


My son Steve e-mailed me earlier this week to say he'd installed Apple's Safari browser on his Windows PC and was impressed with how fast it loads pages, especially compared with Firefox. He also likes the fact that Safari is less vulnerable to malware.
So I downloaded a copy - it's free - and took it for a spin. I use Internet Explorer and I think Safari is a bit faster. Even though I'm using it right now on a Mac at the newspaper office, I sill feel more comfortable on IE because I haven't yet figured out how to use all of Safari's features to the extent that I can with IE.
I have a copy of Firefox on my home PC, but I rarely use it. The best thing about Firefox, as far as I'm conceerned, is the Thunderbird e-mail client that comes with it. I think e-mail is the biggest malware threat and most of it is written for Microsoft's Outlook and Outlook Express, so I feel a bit more secure getting my e-mail with Thunderbird. I run it with images turned off, since bad code can hide in jpegs and gifs.

No comments: