Thursday, February 18, 2010

I’m not ready to freeze in Florida again

bikeweek2010

Unless the weather forecast changes dramatically, I’m going to pass on Daytona Beach Bike Week this year.

The Weather Channel 10-day out look for here and for Daytona indicates I would be very uncomfortable riding to and from Florida and would freeze in my tent every night. That’s not my idea of a good time.

I spent two miserable nights shivering in my tent last year before I gave up and fled for home. It was an unacceptably high price to pay for being able to sit and stare at the ocean at Flagler Beach, ride down A1A and Main Street and visit Daytona BMW for a shirt.

My trip records show Daytona Bike Week 2009 cost me $348.34, including $108.90 for gas and $164.44 for lodging. I’d have to eat whether I went to Daytona or stayed home, so the food expense is pretty much a wash.

I might reconsider if it looks like temperatures will warm up by 10-15 degrees across the board, but as it stands right now, count me out.

(But they do have a very nice logo this year.)

No comments: