Thursday, January 14, 2016

Happy Birthday, GT


My BMW K1200GT was born/built on this date in Berlin in 2003.

It has 77,321 miles on the odometer as it sits in my garage today, having taken me all over the United States. I've ridden it to 10 BMW MOA rallies, starting with Charleston, W.Va. and including St. Paul, Minn., Gillette, Wyo., Burlington, Vt., Redmond, Ore., and last July to Billings, Mont.

We've been down the Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur two or three times, to Daytona Beach Bike Week a couple of times and all over Colorado on several occasions.

The bike, shown here with oversize saddlebags - I left the smaller color-matched bags at home - just south of the Big Creek Bridge in Big Sur, has had a few modifications, most notably the addition of MotoLight driving lights. I started out with the stock halogen bulbs in the MotoLights and upgraded to the brighter, longer-lasting LEDs in July, 2012. I added XM satellite radio in 2004, then upgraded to a SiriusXM-enabled Garmin Zumo 550 GPS in March, 2010.

It's been a great bike and I'm looking forward to another good year of riding.

No comments: