Thursday, November 19, 2015

Turns out I wasn’t missing anything

The_Doors_-_Other_Voices

One of the cable music channels aired a Door concert at the Hollywood Bowl the other night and it got me revisiting their music.

I remember being impressed with their debut album, absolutely stunned by their second album Strange Days, and let down by Waiting for the Sun which followed.

All told, they released six studio albums before lead singer Jim Morrison died in Paris on July 3, 1971.

Morrison is said to have pointed out keyboard player Ray Manzarek at a gathering, saying, “That man is the Doors,” because of Manzarek’s distinctive sound on the electric piano.

The group released two more studio albums after Morrison’s death that made it clear that Morrison was wrong. The insipid nature of the last two albums prove beyond all doubt that Morrison was the Doors.

I have a vinyl copy of Full Circle, the final Doors album and the second without Morrison. I didn’t think much of it.

After watching the Hollywood Bowl concert film, I discovered the first post-Morrison album had slipped past me.

I searched Amazon.com and found Other Voices and Full Circle are out in a two-CD package, but not as digital downloads. I ordered the CDs and they arrived today.

My first listening of Other Voices may well be my last. It’s freaking horrible. Without the Morrison’s rich dark voice and lyrics, it’s hard to believe it’s the same band. The lyrics are goofy New Agey and the rhyming schemes are sophomoric.

In the years before his death on May 20, 2013, Manzarek teamed with blues guitarist Roy Rogers for a couple of albums. They were disappointing also.

My impulse for completeness dictates I have them all in my music library, but it’s pretty obvious that the Doors died with Jim Morrison.

No comments: