Monday, June 03, 2013

Gut check

I’m on a liquid diet today, preparing for an upper GI exam and maybe a colonoscopy early tomorrow morning in the continuing effort to figure out what’s going on with my digestive system.

Dr. Nicole Flora, my daughter-in-law, opined a few weeks ago that I have diabetic gastroparesis. It wasn’t until about 2:45 a.m. today, when I was fighting my nightly battle with indigestion, that I finally looked it up.

I didn’t like what I read here: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/gastroparesis.html

The confusing, disturbing thing for me is that my doctor has been telling me for years that I’m doing a good job of managing my Type II diabetes with medication based on my twice-annual blood tests. A gastroparesis diagnosis would seem to contradict that.

We shall see.

Generally speaking, I have a higher level of confidence in Dr. Nicky’s diagnostic abilities than with my own G.P.

No comments: