Thursday, June 20, 2013

Being here

bootlaces

If everything had gone according to plan, I would be waking up in my tent on the grounds of the Biltmore in Asheville, N.C. this morning. I planned to go to the BMW Riders Association rally this weekend, but events have conspired to keep me home.

Dora is one of those events.

When I took her out this morning, she discovered my bootlaces and attacked them with enthusiasm and determination. I finally foiled her by tucking them into the tops of my boots and covering it all with my pants leg.

So she attacked the cuff of my jeans.

A few minutes later, I glanced over my shoulder at the back steps in time to see her launch off the side of the steps from the top step. She came down in an awkward pancake landing, but shook it off and seemed none the worse for it.

Dora becomes bolder day by day and increasingly owns her space. She has had some toilet training lapses, pooping in her kennel, but I think we can correct that by restricting the amount of space in her Jack-sized kennel.

We supervise her trips to the back yard because she’s still small enough that a large owl or other raptor could conceivably snatch her up as it would a rabbit or other small prey. I’m hopeful that she’ll be too big for birds of prey by the time I leave town for the West in a few weeks.

No comments: