Monday, April 01, 2013

49 years a Tau

tau

I got an alumni questionnaire in the email the other day from my fraternity, Alpha Tau Omega.

The deeper I got into the lengthy survey, the more acutely aware I became that I’ve been a pretty crappy alumnus.

I read the ATO stuff that comes my way, via email or snail mail, but I’ve only been back to Indiana State University a couple of times for ATO alumni events. And I’ve been very very stingy when it comes to giving money to the fraternity – mainly because I don’t have much to spare and because there are more than enough guys to carry the load.

I’m 400 miles from ISU, but there’s an ATO house on the Arkansas State University campus that I drive past frequently. I’ve thought of dropping in and introducing myself, but then I try to imagine how I would have reacted if some 67-year-old alumnus from another chapter dropped in to the ISU ATO house when I was an undergraduate. I’m sure I would be uncomfortably non-plussed. Better to just wish them well when I drive past and let it go at that.

And wear my ATO t-shirt now and then when I go into town for coffee and Wifi.

No comments: