Friday, March 29, 2013

In today’s mail

syracuse plateIt looks like a Wallace Rodeo or Boots & Saddle dinner plate, except it’s about 2” wider, has no center artwork and was made by the Syracuse (I flinch at that name after Syracuse beat I.U. last night) China Co.

The sequence of the brands is the same as the Rodeo/B&S dinner plates.

The seller said it’s an example of the Syracuse “Buckaroo Pattern” but I can’t find any reference to such a pattern.

I got it for an opening bid of $15.

Corinne Joy Brown, the author of “Come and Get It!,” the definitive reference book on cowboy dinnerware, responded to my query thusly:

“Syracuse took over the production of Wallace China from about 1960 until it closed. (It's in the book under the Wallace history section I think.)
That would explain the border with no center design-- merely a cheaper add-on, or co-ordinate for all the patterns. I doubt if it had any such name. It may have been a restaurant special order.
It's a good collector's piece at a good price.”

No comments: