Saturday, March 23, 2013

Checking in from behind an invisible firewall

hotspot

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – I’m taking a break from APME morning seminars to hang out in our room here at the Clarion Resort on the Lake and blog.

This trip is also a field test of the Norton Hotspot Privacy software I’m reviewing for the Amazon Vine program. I’ve installed it on my netbook jmfhotsprings(which I’m using at the moment), Maria’s notebook and my iPhone.

Since I have no way to know if it really does make me invisible to hackers and identity thieves, I have to be content with at least the illusion of being protected. And the realization that LifeLock will kick in if someone does get past the Norton software.

Maria, being the Arkansas APME president, led a spirited and wide-ranging discussion on new media and other topics this morning. It was so spirited that it ran 25 minutes over the planned stopping point, but nobody seemed to mind and everyone in the room was fully engaged in the conversation. That’s the mark of a well-run discussion.

We have an awards luncheon at 11:30 a.m., after which some of us will adjourned to the horse racing track. It’s been decades since I’ve been to a horse track and I don’t think Maria has ever been to one, so it should be fun wagering a few bucks without a clue to what we’re doing.

No comments: