Saturday, September 03, 2011

The Zumo chronicles

garmin_zumo UPS brought my new Zumo 550 a couple of days ago.

I expected identical performance to my old Zumo 550, but was pleasantly surprised to discover they’ve upgraded the firmware and my new unit announces street/road names and destinations by name. How convenient!

And, more importantly, all of the linkage to XM-Sirius satellite radio, weather and traffic resides in the ancillary XM receiver unit, so there was no need to call XM and re-synch the new Zumo. All I had to do was put it into the cradle and voila! it displayed all of my XM and premium XM stuff.

I do, however, still need to update the maps on this unit – something I did on my old unit a week or so ago – but that’s not a pressing matter and something I can get around to in a week or so.

The firmware upgrade is kind of surprising, because I thought Garmin had abandoned the Zumo 550 in favor of newer models.

No comments: