Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dogs Decoded

I have weird sleep patterns.
I almost always fall asleep quickly, but several nights a week I wake up in the 2:30-3 a.m. range and toss and turn, unable to get back to sleep.
Since Maria is the one with a job and needs her rest, I used to throw on some dogs decodedclothes and go up to the office where I’d surf the Internet until 6 a.m. or so. But Maria finds it disturbing when I’m missing.
So now I grab my iPod Touch and surf the Internet in bed, checking email, weather and news. Sometimes I use the Netflix app and watch a movie.
This morning was one of those sleepless times and I went to Netflix for entertainment. Among the TV show offerings was a PBS NOVA episode titled “Dogs Decoded.” The hour-long show, which isn’t scheduled for broadcast on PBS until Nov. 15, explores the relationship between dogs and humans – why dogs are unique in the way they relate to us, the evolutionary origin of dogs, how dogs can read human facial expressions (but not those of other dogs), how dogs are smarter than any other animal, and more.
If you love dogs, you owe it to yourself to check this out. It’s worth losing sleep over.

No comments: