Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Man Mitch

mitch bike

One of the worst things about living in Arkansas is not being able to vote for Mitch Daniels for a second term as governor of Indiana.

I've talked with Mitch several times and ridden motorcycles with him. I consider him the most genuine elected official I've met in my 40 years in and around the news business. I've been around long enough to spot a phony from a great distance and all of my experience, knowledge and instincts tell me that Mitch is the real deal.

He's also the real deal when it comes to motorcycling. Being a BMW rider, I'm not nuts about his choice of Harley-Davidson, but I realize it's just a matter of taste. He's a genuine motorcycle enthusiast. He rides because he loves it, not because he thinks it looks cool and will impress some voters.

He's also been the best friend Indiana motorcyclists have ever had in the governor's office. He took motorcycle skills testing out of the hands of the BMV bureaucrats and put it back into the hands of motorcyclists and has been a strong advocate for rider education.

I hope all of my Indiana motorcycle-riding friends - even those who consider themselves Democrats - will pull the lever for Mitch on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Lauri Shillings said...

Being a somewhat 'opinionated' person. I always vote for the best person for the job. Regardless of party lines... Just the way our forefathers meant it to be. I happen to believe that Mitch Daniels is the best person for the job of Governor in Indiana.