Wednesday, October 15, 2008

iPod indecision

ipod-classic-review-1

I loaded the 10,000th song into my 60GB 5G iPod Classic this month as I eyed the latest iPod offerings from Apple.

I was resigned to waiting for flash memory capacity to pass the 60GB mark before stepping up to a newer model - ideally something like the new iPod Touch, the current version of which lacks the memory I need for music, podcasts and video.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that hard drive iPods - the current 160GB Classic being the only one left in the lineup - represent a dead-end technology. Flash drive is faster, less prone to damage and draws less battery energy.

But then I noticed some spam from Circuit City this week offering trade-in credit for used iPods. It seems that mine in its present condition is worth $114 in trade-in value. That would make upgrading to the $249 160GB iPod Classic a lot less painful.

If we weren't counting pennies and burdened with double house payments, I'd be all over that deal.

No comments: