Monday, October 27, 2008

I've run out of excuses

proform-5-5-crosstrainer

This is the Proform 5.5 Cross-Trainer Treadmill and one of them is presumably on its way to our house.

My sedentary lifestyle is killing me. My doctor put me on blood pressure medicine last week out of concerns that my elevated blood pressure - probably related to the presidential election campaign - and Type 2 diabetes may conspire to blind me or whack me with a stroke.

Pretty much all of my ailments, as I have probably mentioned here before, are caused or aggravated by the fact that my 5'10" frame is carrying about 250 pounds.

Those ailments include:

  • Hypertension
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Acid reflux
  • High cholesterol
  • Sleep apnea

The doc got on my case in his gentle understated Arkansan way last week and I determined it was time to get off of my ass and take action.

When we lived in Thorntown, Ind., I had a mile-long walking loop marked out along paved streets and sidewalks and I actually enjoyed hooking up my iPod and getting my heart rate into the aerobic zone for 20 minutes a day. I felt better for it and my weight went down after I started the regimen.

One of the few disadvantages of living here in our little wooded subdivision between Goobertown and Buck Snort is the absence of a good place to walk. The subdivision streets are uneven gravel and the county road at the foot of the subdivision is a heavily traveled blacktop with bad sight lines and no berm for walking.

I've joined fitness clubs before and made the management very happy by not showing up to use their equipment because of a myriad of excuses, chiefly that it's inconvenient to drive several miles to get sweaty and have to wait for some doofus to get out of my way and surrender a piece of equipment.

Everything points to a treadmill as the place to start and the Web site TreadmillAdviser.com ranks the Proform 5.5 Cross-Trainer Treadmill as #1 in its Top 10 Treadmills list for October. It gets a chili pepper icon and "Hot! Best Value!" next to its name.

The price was right $999, reduced to $499 with free shipping thrown in, so I ordered one yesterday and eagerly await its arrival.

No comments: