Friday, June 20, 2008

New mouse in the house


I bought a new mouse yesterday while I was at Best Buy in Memphis picking up our repaired laptop.
And, yes, the laptop was repaired for free because I got it to the Geek Squad with a few days remaining on our three-year extended warranty - one of those rare occasions when an extended warranty turns out to have been a good idea. They sent it to a Sony repair site where the 80GB hard drive was replaced.
That means I get to reinstall Windows XP and about a bazillion patches and fixes and try to reconstruct the software configurations we had. All of the data, of course, is gone, but then we never put anything on that computer that we didn't have backed up or couldn't afford to lose.
But I digress.
As I was shutting down my desktop computer Tuesday night, I discovered my right mouse button wasn't working. I'd been using a Microsoft wireless mouse for the past two or three years - I bought a couple of them on the cheap when an office supply place was blowing them out to make way for a newer model. They worked well - Maria's continues to work just fine - and I had no thought of upgrading.
So I surveyed the mice at Best Buy, bit the bullet and bought an $87 Logitech MX Revolution (Oooooh, sounds edgy, doesn't it?) wireless mouse.
There are a lot of things to like about it: The scroll wheel scrolls much faster, it has a button that lets you jump from one application to another and fits my hand a bit better than the Microsoft mouse.
If you highlight a word or a phrase in text and push the button just aft of the scroll wheel, it launches a Web search of the highlighted item using the search engine of your choice.
And it came with a rechargeable lithium ion battery and desktop charging holster, so I don't have to go searching for a couple of AA batteries every nine months or so.
Is it worth $87? Probably not, but I have a working mouse again.

No comments: