Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Who Are You?

I don't think I ever need to go to another concert again. Unless the Who comes to town again.
Pete Townshend is the same age as me - soon to be 62 - and he's clearly lost none of his fire. In fact, his playing is probably the best it's ever been.
Roger Daltrey was a bit hoarse from a cold. At least that's what he said between numbers, but you couldn't tell it from his singing. Zak Starkey has all of the explosiveness of Keith Moon, but without the self-destructive craziness. His father, Ringo Starr, should be very proud. Pino Palidino is a solid journeyman bass player and doesn't try to replicate John Entwhistle's brilliant playing, but Townshend's guitar work more than takes up the slack.
The concert was an auditory and visual experience without peer.
And we'll be able to re-live the experience, thanks to an inspired decision by the Who to make CD/DVD packages of each performance available for purchase. So I went online to www.themusic.com and ordered the March 6 Indianapolis concert, which is supposed to be delivered around April 10. The proceeds go to Who charities, which made me feel even better about the $50 (shipping included) cost.
I still don't understand Pete and Roger's choice of opening bands, unless the aim was to make the crowd even more eager for the Who to take the stage. I used earplugs for the Tragically Hip, because their sound was physically painful. Not so with the Who. They were loud, but without distortion and within comfort levels.

2 comments:

Totsie said...

Oooo you should have consulted me on the Tragically Hip. They're also Tragically Canadian. Because they are Canadian, every fifth song on the radio is a Hip song, regardless of the station.

While I liked their first album a long, loooong time ago and have liked only one song since, their live shows suck with a capital shit. I was complETEly embarrassed by their Live 8 performance.

Pea green about the Who though! I think I'll play a little Magic Bus right now.

The Oracle said...

Thanks for validating my observations. They looked like they were trying way too hard and still being ignored by the audience.