Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Hostage situation

Our garage project is supposed to start next Monday and I just left a voicemail with our construction guy to confirm that we're on track. I also made it clear that I understand he has other jobs ahead of us that may be slowed by the weather and we're prefectly OK with a later start. In fact, later is better for us because it's taking time to clear out the two garages that have to be demolished.
We spent Sunday afternoon ripping most of the old wood deck out behind the house and discovered an open cistern that will have to be filled and/or covered. There is some construction debris, including big jagged shards of broken glass, in the cistern which makes it doubly dangerous. I've got a big sheet of plasterboard over the opening at the moment, so the dogs don't fall in. The garage demolition will include removal of the concrete footprint, so there should be plenty of material to fill the cistern.
The project is being financed with the bulk of the proceeds from the sale of my parents' house up in Delphi last October. We put the money into a nine-month CD on the date of the sale, which means it matures on July 7. The only problem is, the construction company is going to want to be paid in installments, starting in mid-April. So I have a call in to my bank to determine whether it's smarter to take the interest hit from early withdrawal or to take a short-term loan against the CD. Or there may be a third solution that I haven't thought of.
And just to make the process more interesting, I can't find the original paperwork on the CD. The bank assures me that they don't need it because they have all of the records of the transaction, but nevertheless I'm kicking myself for letting it get misplaced.
In the meantime, I have to find a new home for the big old Franklin stove that the previous owner of our house had in her kitchen. It's plumbed to burn natural gas and, if I had my druthers, we'd put it back into the kitchen for added heat on those cold winter mornings. However, Maria has bad bad associations with such stoves from her childhood and doesn't want it.
We had three large pieces of kitchen cabinetry in the garage, left over from the kitchen remodel we did six years ago. We hauled them to the curb several days ahead of the regular Friday trash collection and passersby snarfed them up, just as we expected. I don't know that it will be that easy to dispose of the Franklin stove.
We also have a couple of refrigerators to deal with: one left by the previous owner and the other from Maria's previous home. The first, we'll try to give away. The second has to be stashed somewhere on the property for later installation in the new garage. Our two motorcycles will go down to our neighbor's barn for safekeeping.
Then, in the smaller, crappier garage, we have Maria's dad's roto-tiller which probably needs a major engine clean-out because it hasn't been run since it showed up here about three years ago. And, there's the lawn mower, my dad's big wooden extension ladder and a bundle of shingles left over from the most recent roofing job.
So, you can see why I would welcome a delayed start on the project.
In the meantime, I'm held hostage by the phone as I wait for calls back from the construction guy and the bank.
***********************************
Aha!
There was a third solution. Andrea at Chase Bank suggests a home equity line of credit, under which the interest is tax deductible. She's putting it together now.
And construction guy George says we're on track to begin old garage tear-down next Monday. The permit paperwork will be filed on Friday.
Now I'm free to get on with my day.

No comments: