Friday, February 07, 2014

Still stamping after all these years

stamped to sean 04

Thirty years or so ago, Indianapolis News colleague Jane Judkins and I amassed a rather spectacular collection of rubber stamps which rotated between her house and mine until she married Matt Stegemiller, D.D.S., and we divided the collection.

Mine haven’t been used much in the last 20 years. The ink pads have dried out and some of the ink bottles have gone gooey and useless. And, alas, some of the rubber stamps have aged and dried to the point of uselessness.

But that didn’t stop me from dragging the stamp suitcase down from its closet stamped to sean 03shelf this morning and creating a one-of-a-kind piece of mail art to send a gift to my son Sean on Sauvie Island, Oregon.

Rubber stamping can be messy work and it wasn’t until after I scrubbed most of the ink from my fingers that I remembered the Medline VEN6045 Venom Steel Premium Industrial Nitrile Gloves, 50-Pack I got the other day from the Amazon Vine Program. I could have donned a pair of those gloves and kept my fingers ink-free. Something to think about next time.

That said, here’s what’s going into the mail to Sean this morning:

stamped to sean 01blur

stamped to sean 02

I have a stamp that says “The microfilm is hidden under the stamp” with an arrow pointing to the postage stamp, but I decided there’s too much suspicion and paranoia abroad in the land to trust the postal workers to get the joke.

No comments: