Wednesday, July 04, 2012

My new favorite stamp (the one on the right)

piafdavis800

I recently discovered this set of stamps that was released on June 12.

I’ve been a Miles Davis appreciator since my high school days, as has my jazz musician son Steve and probably his rocker brother Sean.

Why in hell the U.S. Postal Service chose to pair Miles with French chanteuse Edith Piaf is a mystery to me, even after reading the fluff on the back of the stamp sheet. I can think of any number of American jazz greats, like Charles Mingus or Charlie Parker who would be more appropriate matches.

Whatever. I bought a sheet of them. I’ll pay bills with Edith and save Miles for personal correspondence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both of the individuals you mentioned previously appeared on US Postage stamps.