Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Where did I park my stationery bicycle?

yakkayhelmetWriting for the trendy Garden & Gun magazine, a genteel, trendy, upscale Southern publication, Jessica Mischner has discovered an equestrian-inspired bicycle helmet. It’s called the Yakkay helmet.

 

I think it’s kind of silly looking, but what really caught my eye was this passage:

The New York City–based bike boutique and e-tailer might be old news to in-the-know cyclists, but I'd never heard of it until this morning when I saw the Yakkay helmet (pictured above) in a fashion mag (which I was perusing while riding the stationery bike at the gym, ironically).

No, Jessica, I don’t think you were riding a bike made of writing paper. More likely it was a stationary bike.

And while we’re at it, she doesn’t understand irony: the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

No comments: