Friday, December 26, 2008

Sweet Dreams are Made of This

My new Therm-a-Rest LuxuryCamp air mattress is inflated and standing against the bedroom wall as part of its recommended unpacking process.cc_luxury_camp_xl

It was a Christmas gift from son Steve and his family and will be very much appreciated the next time I embark on a motorcycle camping trip.

Most of my motorcycle camping in recent years has involved BMW rallies. I rode to two of them this year - the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America International Rally in Gillette, Wyo., and the Return to Shiloh Rally near Savannah, Tenn. Indianapolis BMW Club friend Dennis Shelley had a new 2½" thick LuxuryCamp at the Shiloh rally and his raving about its comfort convinced me it was time to upgrade, so I put one on my Amazon.com wish list for Christmas.

My usual camping routine involves setting up my Eureka tent, taking my Therm-a-Rest out of its stuff sack and unrolling it onto the tent floor, leaving the air valve open so the foam-filled mattress can self-inflate over the next few hours while I'm out and about. Since I like a little more air support than the self-inflation process provides, I blow it up the rest of the way just before I go to bed. That is, after dinner and several beers.

And it always occurs to me, when I strike camp on Sunday morning and deflate my Therm-a-Rest, that my air mattress would surely fail a breathalyzer test.

No comments: