Thursday, May 17, 2007

Five - count 'em - five flying cartridges


I photographed a police memorial service yesterday afternoon and finally figured out how to get the ejected cartridges in mid-air during a 21-gun (7 rifles, 3 volleys) salute.
I set my Nikon D200 on high speed continuous shooting. Then, a moment before I expected them to fire, I pressed the shutter button and held it down until after the rifles went off. I did this for the second and third volleys and caught ejected cartridges both times.
Yeah, I had several frames with nothing happening, but with an 8GB CompactFlash card and a capacity for more than 1,300 images, who cares? Obviously, this would be kind of expensive with my Nikon F5 film camera and 24-exposure rolls of film, but it's a whole new ballgame with digital.
Here's my favorite of the day in which you can see five cartridges flying out of rifle breeches. Click on the photo to see a larger version.

1 comment:

Retired in Alma said...

#2 looks like it came from somewhere else!