Friday, June 30, 2006

Back to Plan A

My decision to forgo the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America national rally in Vermont in order to ride with my friend Skip and his buddy Bill got reversed today.
Turns out Bill is adamant about wanting to go to the Smokies, which is not all that bad. BUT, he envisions getting a bed & breakfast room southeast of Knoxville, Tenn., and doing day rides of no more than 150 miles a day.
As soon as Skip heard him say it, he knew I couldn't buy into a plan like that.
He was right. I feel guilty if I do less than 500 miles a day while touring and I'd find that routine absolutely stifling.
I was ready to compromise with a series of 300-350-mile days in a ride around Lake Michigan or a tour of the Southeast, but Bill's idea of a motorcycle vacation sounds a lot like sitting at home and flipping channels.
Rather than try to impose my tastes on them - after all, it is Bill's vacation and he's the only one of the three of us with a job - it makes more sense for me to beg off and re-set my sights on Vermont.
The MOA rally will be less expensive, since the rally fee includes camping and - weather permitting - I can camp en route to and from the rally.
Besides, the Northeast is the only region of the contiguous 48 states where I've never ridden a motorcycle.
If I take an extra day to cruise through New England, I'll return home with only New Jersey left to do in the lower 48.
I also suggested to Skip that he and I plan a Colorado trip later this year or sometime next year and, as I expected, he is up for it.
Interesting how he and I are both in our 60s, yet we have a greater appetite for motorcycle miles than the younger guy.

--
Sent from my Treo

No comments: