Monday, January 05, 2015

Sledding at Butler Hill

busled01busled02busled04busled05busled06butlerhill001butlerhill003butlerhill006

I see it snowed in Indianapolis over the weekend and more is expected, so this is a good time to revisit the good times my family and I had sledding at the hill on the Butler University campus, less than a mile from our house.

We accessed the hill through a hole in the chain link fence off of Boulevard Place, along the east side of the campus.

It was one of the best sledding hills I’ve seen, although the one near the water tower at Thorntown is pretty good too.

We had my Flexible Flyer from the 1950s and also a nifty steerable yellow plastic sled that was insanely fast. The Flexible Flyer is in my garage and the yellow speeder resides in Thorntown with Maria’s parents, for the use of various and sundry grandchildren.

The runout area was compromised in later years with the construction of a dance academy at the foot of the hill.

No comments: