Thursday, January 29, 2015

I fell, but I got right up

I misjudged the curb at the post office where it tapers down to a wheelchair ramp Tuesday morning and found myself on the pavement.

It startled the hell out of a young guy just opening the door to the building.

I remember saying, “Shit!” as I landed on my right side, abrading two knuckles  and getting a couple of abrasions on my right leg and knee.

Fortunately, I was wearing my German Polizei leather jacket, which spared me more abrasions on my arm and shoulder.

“Thank God for leather,” I said, embarrassedly as I scrambled to my feet and regained my composure, quietly cursing my inattention.

Thinking about it later, it occurred to me that the CDC and other medical authorities have made a big deal about falls and senior citizens.

I still have trouble thinking of myself as a senior citizen, even though I’ll be 70 in July, so I figured those warnings didn’t apply to me.

Then I recalled it was a slip and fall on ice that put my dad in a downward spiral. As a consequence of the dreaded broken hip, he spent most of his remaining years in a nursing home.

Granted, he was in his 80s when he fell, but the point is worth noting.

I guess I have a couple of choices – either wear my motorcycle gear all the time or get my head out of my ass and pay attention to where I put my feet.

No comments: