Sunday, January 04, 2015

Another reason why I love the Internet

zumo button

The more I looked into fixing my Garmin Zumo 550 yesterday afternoon, the more depressed I got.

As I mentioned yesterday, Garmin no longer offers repair support for this model. I found enough posts in various places about this problem to make it clear that it’s pretty common and there is no shortage of creative jerry-rigged button replacements.

I was ready to cut a small piece of black nitrile glove material and superglue it over the hole before Maria mentioned she has some thicker rubber material in her sewing supplies that might be better.

But before I committed to that approach, I found a link in a Zumoforums.com post to a company that repairs buttons on the Zumo 400, 450, and 550.

Here’s the link, in case anyone else with this problem stumbles onto this blogpost: http://www.palmdr.com/garmin-zumo-450_550-button-repair

I just used their online contact form to let them know I’m keen to have them fix my GPS. If this works, I will sing their praises loudly and forever.

LATER:

I just got an email from palmdr.com saying they can repair my power button for $46.90 plus $7 return shipping. They said the repair will be done within 5 days of receipt of the unit, usually less.

Maybe it’s a good thing that Garmin doesn’t work on them anymore.

I'll let you know how it works out.

No comments: