Friday, January 02, 2015

Can’t find my favorite winter hat

m43 cap lost

I’ve had this heavy wool Swedish Army cap for more than 15 years, but sometime within the last month it went missing.

I hate losing things, especially useful things I’ve become attached to. Chances are that it will turn up, but now that winter is here, I don’t feel like waiting.

It’s a copy of a WWII German M43 cap which, in turn, owes its design to a Tyrolean ski cap. The cap features fold-down ear flaps for the most severe cold.

I got it on Ebay back in the late 1990s and the only thing wrong with it was that the stiffening material in the bill was fractured and made for an uneven look, although you can’t see it in this photo shot after a Christmas Day snowstorm in 2012.

Ebay is full of replica German M43 caps, but most of them are made in China, which I have come to regard as being of dubious quality. I did find some being sold out of New Jersey (for all I know, they were made in China too) for about $30, so I pulled the trigger this afternoon and bought one.

No comments: