Monday, March 17, 2008

Raphael in Amishland


I finally got around to listing my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume on Ebay yesterday. No bids yet, but I can't imagine this fabulous item going unsold. You can check it out here.
That's me in the costume in the Ebay listing, but the photo above is my stepson Austin in the costume at his cousin Isaac's 5th birthday party.
Isaac, his six brothers and sisters and his parents - and the dog too, I suppose - are Amish. Considering that the Ninja Turtles were popular in the 1980s and that Isaac and his family don't watch TV, all of the popular nuances of Raphael and his compadres were completely lost on the kid. Nevertheless, he seemed pleased and amused to see a big-ass masked turtle show up on his birthday and was even more pleased to discover it was Austin under that goofy suit.
Speaking of goofy suits, I'm reminded of Chris Biddlecombe, aka Cookie Monster, who used to show up at BMW motorcycle rallies in a Cookie Monster suit.
Here's a photo I shot of him in the camping area of the 1990 BMW Motorcycle Owners of America national rally in Rapid City, S.D. That's a BMW R100CS he's riding.
Cookie, as most of us know him, is a longtime member of the Indianapolis BMW Club, but lived the last several years in Huntsville, Ala. Local BMW rider Charlie Parsons told me over the weekend he had heard Cookie moved back to Indiana. I assume he still has the fuzzy blue suit, but I haven't seen it in years.
Tim Balough suggested recently that I pick up where Cookie left off and wear the Ninja Turtle suit at rallies. It's an intriguing thought, but the thing is just too bulky to carry on a bike in addition to my usual camping gear and other stuff. (I'm using a 30x18x18 box to ship it once the Ebay auction closes and there's no freaking way I'd lash something that big on the back of my bike.)

No comments: