Tuesday, August 28, 2007

WTF?

Alan Anttila, the service writer at Foothills BMW, completely misled me on how much time it would take to finish the work on my MotoLights wiring harness.
At 3 p.m., he estimated it would take another hour. I started getting concerned around 5 p.m. I went to the service desk and saw him struggling to help four or five guys who were lined up. So I went back to the waiting area and waited. As the 6 p.m. Closing time neared, I went outside and peered into the service department where I could see my bike on a lift, with several body panels lying on the floor.
Finally, I was able to ask Alan what was going on. He consulted with the technician and reported the guy needed another couple of hours.
Tonight?
No. Tomorrow.
But I'm staying up in the mountains in Alma. That's 100 miles away.
I had mentioned this detail to him when he filled out the work order, so it shouldn't have been a surprise.
He fumbled around and finally offered me a loaner bike to ride to Alma and back.
The bike? An unfaired Triumph Bonneville with no bags to carry my stuff. I was stunned. By now, it was about 6:30 and the sun was going down. It would be pitch dark and very cold by the time I flogged this underpowered little piece of shit up to Alma.
So I got onto I-70 and rode about 30 miles west to Idaho Springs where I got a $45 room in the Peoriana Inn motel, a delapidated joint that was substandard when Tim and Linda and I stayed there on the way home from California in July 1986.
I bought a sixpack of beer and had a light dinner at McDonald's and settled in for the night.
This is, to say the least, unacceptable and I will have words with the manager of Foothills tomorrow morning.

No comments: