Tuesday, August 28, 2007

MotoLight fix

I'm still at the BMW dealer in Denver, burning shop time at a rate of $89 an hour, but it looks like we've gotten to the bottom of a problem that was making me crazy.
I had Revard BMW in Indy install caliper-mounted MotoLights driving lights about 4 years ago.
Last summer, my riding companions told me they weren't staying on consistently.
Earlier this summer I noticed them blink off one evening when I hit a bump while riding home.
My riding mates observed the same on/off stuff en route to Colorado.
So I asked the service guys here at Foothills to have a go at it.
The service writer just reported that an electrical connection under the gas tank had worn off insulation, causing the problem. They're replacing the quick-disconnect link with a hardwired solder connection sealed in shrink tape, which they believe will guarantee a good solid permanent fix.
It won't be cheap, but it will be worth it in terms of safety and peace of mind.
What a relief!

No comments: