Friday, August 24, 2007

Still worth 5 stars!


The Trombones Inc. is one of my all-time favorite jazz albums. I bought it on vinyl when I was 13 years old and it knocked my socks off.
Ever since CDs were introduced - and that would be 25 years ago this month - I've been looking for a CD version of this album.
I had all but given up ever hearing it again, my vinyl copy having been destroyed in a flood, until I did a routine check for it last week on Amazon.com and discovered it had been reissued. My copy arrived today and I am ecstatic!
Old Devil Moon was always my favorite track and it still blows me away.
I had worried that the CD version, if there ever was one, might be poorly engineered or recorded from an LP instead of from the original source material. I needn't have worried.
The sound is crisp, punchy and vital and far better than I remember from the LP.
And if that weren't enough, they've added a track that wasn't on the original album.
Forty-nine years is a long time to wait for something like this, but now that it's here, I can tell you it was worth the wait.
I leave for a motorcycle trip to the Colorado high country tomorrow morning and it will be great to have this album in my iPod.

No comments: