Thursday, July 20, 2006

McIdiots

(This is a post I sent from my Treo that never got through to Blogger, so I added it after the fact.)
I'm a the Dewitt Service Plaza on the NY Thruway a short distance west of Syracuse.
After parting company with Webb, Cindy & Dave, I headed east on the Thruway and pulled off at the first service plaza for a quick breakfast.
I knew I was in trouble as soon as the surly black woman behind the counter looked at me.
"Bacon, egg and cheese biscuit breakfast," I said.
"You want the meal?" she asked, correcting my failure to use McDonald's Official Terminology.
"Yes."
"Is that for here or to go?"
I'm standing in front of her in full motorcycle gear. It's glaringly obvious that I'm not in a car. Of fucking course it's for here.
"For here," I said.
"That's $5.28."
I stepped to the right with my empty tray so she could share her sunny personality with the next customer.
Presently, a girl behind the counter put a cup of coffee, sleeve of "hash browns" and a steak, egg and cheese bagel on my tray. Noticing the print on the wrapper, I peeked inside and confirmed it was, indeed, a bagel.
"I ordered a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit," I told Ms. Sunshine. "This is a bagel."
"You said bagel," she said belligerantly, oblivious to the principle that the customer is always right.
"No, I never say bagel," I replied, my anger rising.
"...we can change it..."
"No," I said, resigned to my bagel. "Forget it."
She also forgot to ask about cream and sweetener for the coffee - an omission I took to mean that they were available at the condiment station. No. And I'm fucking not going to ask her for anything now. So I'm eating my bagel and drinking my very hot very black coffee and looking forward to getting the hell out of here and back onto the road.

--
Sent from my Treo

No comments: