Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Adobe Deceptive Practice

Read this statement, copied and pasted directly from Adobe's website:

Adobe Photoshop CS2 Upgrade
To install this upgrade successfully, you will need a licensed version of any version of Adobe Photoshop, on the same platform as this purchase.


I bought a copy of the Adobe Creative Suite, which included Photoshop CS, earlier this year and I registered it with Adobe at the time of installation. After visiting the Adobe website to check the requirements for the Adobe Photoshop CS2 Upgrade, I put it on my Amazon.com Wish List for Christmas. My son in Cincinnati ordered it and gave it to me on Christmas Day.

Yesterday, the day after Christmas, I sat down at my desk to install the upgrade. I typed in the serial number for my new copy of CS2 and waited for the setup program to find the already-installed copy of Photoshop CS as a prerequisite for installing the upgrade.


To my surprise, the program said it couldn't find a verified copy of Photoshop on my computer.

Huh?

I re-ran the step, using the Browse feature to point it directly at the Photoshop CS subdirectory. Same result.

WTF?

My wife was wrestling with a computer problem at her office and needed the phone, so I waited until this morning to call Adobe tech support to get a solution to the problem.

The pleasant young woman who took my call confirmed through Adobe's records that I had a verified, registered, legitimate copy of Adobe Creative Suite, which includes Photoshop CS.

The problem, she informed me, is that since Creative Suite includes several products: Photoshop, Go Live, Illustrator, Image Ready, etc., I could not upgrade just one of them. I had to buy the Creative Suite Upgrade ($500+).
The Photoshop CS2 Upgrade my son bought for me only works for stand-alone versions of Photoshop v5.5 and up.

I referred her to the verbiage on Adobe's own website where it says any version of Adobe Photoshop, on the same platform as this purchase.

She called up the website and confirmed that is, indeed, what it says.

How is a purchaser supposed to know that this won't work with the Creative Suite package, since there is no mention of this detail in the website description of the product and its requirements?

"Well, that would have come up in the ordering process," she said.

That's fine if you're ordering off of the Adobe website, but there is no such admonition when you order from Amazon.com. So you only get to know that if you order directly from Adobe.

"Amazon.com is not one of our authorized re-sellers," she said.

How the hell is the customer supposed to know that?

My only recourse, she said, is to see if my son had a proof of purchase and try to get a refund from Amazon.com.

Amazon.com, however, does not accept returns of opened software.

So I'm screwed.

No comments: