Monday, June 20, 2005

Doh!

So I've spent the last few days with a persistent upset stomach - the feeling of continuous heartburn that's had me gobbling antiacid tablets by the handul, to little or no avail. It's been worst at night, keeping me awake or sleeping fitfully at best.
Then, yesterday afternoon, it dawned on me. I've been taking an antibiotic in preparation for a root canal tomorrow morning. Antibiotics annihilate helpful intestinal bacteria.
So I went down to the local IGA grocery store (no way does it rise to the definition of a supermarket) and bought an armload of strawberry yogurt, jampacked with an active acidophilus culture.
Voila!
Within a couple of hours, my discomfort was gone and I slept soundly through the night.
I hate it when I overlook such obvious diagnoses and solutions.

2 comments: