Thursday, November 12, 2009

You decide what’s fuel efficient

bb signs02

I dropped by Best Buy this afternoon and noticed four primo parking spaces have been newly reserved for “fuel efficient vehicles.”

What do they consider a fuel efficient vehicle? Depends on who you ask. The girl at the service counter had no clue, but bit when I suggested that might mean hybrids. She directed me to the manager, who was busy with another customer.

So while I was loitering, waiting to ask the manager, another Best Buy blueshirt came along and asked if he could help me.

I told him I’d just noticed the marked spaces and was curious to know what their criteria is for “fuel efficient.” He said he didn’t even know the spaces existed, but speculated that they certainly included hybrids.

What about motorcycles that get 40-50 mpg? Yeah, they should qualify. What about my ‘94 Honda del Sol that consistently delivers bb signs0130+ mpg? Yes, he figured anything that got more than 25 mpg could be considered fuel efficient.

The manager was still otherwise occupied by the time our conversation wound down, so I left still wondering what the real, informed, official word is.

But you can bet that’s where I’ll park my del Sol or my motorcycle next time.

No comments: