Wednesday, August 05, 2009

No more blackout surprises for my hard drive

cyberpower We all know computers hate having their power shut off without properly shutting down the operating system.

And losing power in the middle of a SpinRite repair session is guaranteed to give you a Maalox moment.

So after this morning's anguish, I decided enough is enough and plunked down $140 (yeah, I know I could have gotten it cheaper online) for a CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower uninterruptible power source with 600 volts output.

It won't keep my system going indefinitely during a power failure, but it will give me a half-hour or so of power and, more importantly, should eliminate problems with intermittent short-lived power failures, that seem to be the most common experience around here.

And with any luck at all, it will help SpinRite complete its repairs on my hard drive.



No comments: