Friday, August 07, 2009

Better than I expected... way better

house to home cover I did a photo shoot for Maria's paper's quarterly home and lifestyle magazine back on June 24.

It was the first time I've ever done home interiors and I was extremely concerned that I'd screw up. The magazine wanted RAW images, rather than jpegs, which would give their art director more image data to manipulate and fine tune.

I made a point of manually establishing a new white balance for every shot, did a lot of low shutter speed-tight aperture-tripod work to get lots of depth of field in the images and sweated over every frame.

When I got home, I was horrified to discover I had dust specks on my sensor - nothing that couldn't be fixed with a PhotoShop healing tool, but still bringing me up embarrassingly short of the standard I had set for myself on the project.

I guess I shouldn't have worried.

Maria brought home a copy of the magazine last night, but I didn't see it until this morning. Apparently the editor and art director didn't share my opinion that my work was crap. They gave me the cover and a four-page, nine-photo layout inside.

Now I think I charged them too little.

2 comments:

Lauri Shillings said...

Excellent work. Maybe a new job shooting Home magazine photos?

Anonymous said...

very well done!!! that is beautiful.