Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Getting charged up


My high priced BMW motorcycle battery charger/tender charges my bikes through the accessory plug. It also has a cable with conventional battery terminal clamps, but the cable got separated from the charger in the move from Arkansas.

I've done fruitless searches for the cable through boxes in the house and conclude it must be in storage somewhere.

In the meantime, the grass is growing and our yard sprouted hundreds of dandelions over the past few days. It was clear that I had to find a way to charge the flat battery in our John Deere LA125 mower and I had to do it in time for the first decently warm day.

Today was that day, so I drove in to the Lebanon Walmart and spent $30 and change on a battery charger with the desired terminal clamps. It showed fully charged after a couple of hours, which came as a great relief because I figured the battery was probably done for after seven months of inactivity, much of it in freezing temperatures in the shed. I fully expected to have to drive down to the John Deere dealership and buy a new battery.
But wonder of wonders, it started.

I backed the BMW K75S out of the shed to make room to get the mower out, put a couple of fresh AA batteries in my Work Tunes headphones and attacked the yard. We have less than a quarter of the 1.23 acres I'm used to mowing in Arkansas, so a riding mower almost seems a little silly for such a small lot.

Since I had the K75S out and standing in the driveway, I aired up the tires and went for my first motorcycle ride of 2018 - just a short spin of a couple of miles - but enough to get my blood flowing.

Now I have to figure out what I did with the Arkansas titles to our two bikes so I can get them titled and plated in Indiana.

No comments: