Monday, August 15, 2016

Why do I need another pair of headphones?


If you've followed my blog very long, you know I'm a sucker for good headphones.

I decided years ago that headphones are the absolute best way to experience music. I've never heard speakers that can come anywhere near the listening experience of a good set of headphones for clarity, tonal range, imaging, all the stuff you want in music.

I was ecstatic last year when the Amazon Vine Program offered me a set of Bang & Olufsen H8 Bluetooth headphones to audition and review. They are by far the best set of headphones I have ever used and I was in anguish earlier this year when the Bluetooth function died. Happily, Bang & Olufsen's product support folks are first rate and they sent me a replacement set after determining they couldn't repair the original H8s.

Everytime the Vine program offers me decent headphones, I jump on them. A few weeks after the H8s arrived, I received a pair of ZIK Parrot 2.0 Bluetooth headphones. They're good, but I like the H8s better for comfort and sound.

Then I accepted an offer of 3M WorkTunes Wireless Hearing Protector with Bluetooth Technology and AM/FM Digital Radio headphones. They turned out to be perfect for mowing the lawn and protecting my hearing at the shooting range.

And a few weeks ago, I auditioned a set of Bang & Olufsen Form 2i headphones - relatively inexpensive corded on-ear heaphones that work great with my Kindle Fire tablet.

So when I woke up this morning and discovered I was being offered a pair of Bang & Olufsen H6 (second generation) wired headphones, I almost passed on them thinking nothing could ever compare to the B&O H8s. But the headphone junkie in me couldn't help clicking on the "Send me this item" button. After all, $299 Bang & Olufsen headphones for only the gift tax impact? Why not.

Since then, I've read some reviews of the new iteration of the H6 and am excited to get my hands on them. Most notably, a reviewer named Marco Amament, who has an extensive comparison of 29 sets of headphones on his web site marco.org, raves about the new H6s and singles them out as the best he's ever heard. You can read his reviews at: https://marco.org/headphones-closed-portable

No comments: