Wednesday, September 26, 2012

You really can find almost anything on the Internet

BMT Photo

Recalling that I was in Air Force basic training at Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas, 47 years ago today, I wondered if there was any searchable record of my presence there.

Yep, there sure is.

BMT PhotoThere is a searchable collection of basic training squadron and flight photos and here is the list for the 1960s.

I was in the 3703rd Basic Military Training Squadron, Flight 1499. That’s T/Sgt. Wiggins, one of our training instructors holding the Honor Flight guidon in front of the group. My face is circled in red and my name is boxed in red.

As far as I was concerned, basic training was a breeze. I was immune to harassment, having gone through fraternity pledgeship in an era when hazing was routine. Much of our day was spent drilling. That was a big challenge for a lot of the guys, but my four years in high school marching band served me well. Beyond that, all you had to do was keep your wits about it and shut the fuck up unless required to speak.

I still have my copy of this photo rolled up in a mailing tube and, if I so chose, I could probably make a much better scan, but this will suffice for now.

No comments: