Monday, November 24, 2008

CMF RIP

youngchas

My dad died 11 years ago yesterday. I would have blogged this on the anniversary, but my photo archives were tied up with a SpinRite computer repair job.

Dad was 87 and stuck in nursing home hell in Delphi, Ind. My mother visited him daily and I went up almost every Sunday, but I'll never believe I did enough for him. He was a genuinely good man and a solid citizen - founding member of the Delphi Chamber of Commerce, school board president, Rotarian, Elder in the Presbyterian Church.

This is Dad around 1940 heading for his insurance office on the west side of the courthouse square in Delphi. My best guess is that the photo was shot by his friend Myron Johnson, who was publisher of the Delphi Citizen weekly newspaper.

That's the courthouse over his right shoulder and that is the corner where the cornerstone was laid Sept. 4, 1916. That's significant to this photo because my grandfather was a township trustee in Carroll County at the time and my Dad tagged along. When it came time to toss the Democrat Township history into the cornerstone time capsule, grandpa handed it to his 6-year-old son to do the honors. This is the first time I realized that's the cornerstone corner in the background of this shot.

No comments: