Friday, August 04, 2006

Dumping the DISH

Today's to-do list includes the following item:
"Cancel DISH TV, re-start cable"
Seduced by the lure of more channels for less money, I converted from cable to DISH satellite tv last summer.
Now, after a year of inconvenient outages, I've had enough and I'm going back to cable.
(The satellite signal drops out everytime we get heavy rain or snow - precisely the time when I'd like to be able to get weather information from Indianapolis TV stations. This happens to every DISH customer I know in this area, so I know it's not just us.)
The triggers for this switchback are the fact that our roofers knocked our dish out of alignment early this week, making our TVs useless, and the arrival of the August DISH bill that is substantially higher than the previous 12 months' bills. That's because the promotional period is over and we will now be billed at the regular rate.
Which, it turns out, is higher than what we were paying for cable.
I spent about an hour on the phone yesterday afternoon with DISH technical service working through the diagnostic programs to confirm what I already knew - the problem was a mis-aligned dish. Their fix is to send a repairman out next freaking Tuesday and to charge me $29 for the service call.
My fix is to tell them to pick up their electronic shit, get their dish off of my house and cancel my service.

No comments: