Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Kennedy Curse


After watching Sen. Ted Kennedy badgering Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito, I find myself wondering, "Where is the Kennedy curse when we really need it?"
Does it just work on Kennedys who I like? Despite my present political perspective, at various points in my life I've had favorable thoughts about some of the Kennedys.
I liked John Kennedy, being in my teens during his brief presidency. I liked him so much that I went to Washington, D.C. in November, 1963 for his funeral.
I liked Bobby Kennedy because he represented what I thought was the best alternative to Lyndon Johnson in 1968.
I liked John Kennedy Jr. because he didn't go into politics and trade on his family name and because he was stylish without being politically menacing.
But when it comes to Ted Kennedy, I can't remember him saying anything I could agree with since about in the last 35 years.

No comments: