Monday, November 14, 2005

Cream (the first time around)


Now that Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce are revisiting their days as Cream, this seems like a good time to trot out some images from that period.
It was the night of March 22, 1968, at Clowes Hall on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis.
The opening act was the American Breed whose bright pop sound attracted lots of younger kids and their parents or grandparents. They were having a splendid time until Cream hit the stage and Eric cranked up the sound.
That first number - I don't recall the set order - sorted out the crowd. All of the old folks headed up the aisles to the exits.
I was there with my Pentax Spotmatic and f/1.4 50mm lens to record the proceedings on Tri-X for The Indianapolis News. My friend Bob Basler, also a Newsie, was there to write the review.
We went backstage to the dressing room after the show to meet the guys, take photos and ask inane questions, although I'm sure Bob's were more incisive than everyone else's. (He went on to a stellar career with Reuters and, at last report, was in charge of their online content.)
So here are three of my favorite images of the evening: a group shot, a tight shot of Ginger looking kinda scary, and a barely recognizable (by today's look) Eric.
Enjoy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice shots! I was at that show, and it was just as you said – when Cream came on, there was an exodus for the doors by all the people who had come to see American Breed. That concert still stands in my mind as the strangest combination of groups ever paired.

Melinda said...

How about Hermans Hermits opened with the Who!!! Never forget at 13 went to see Herman and the Who scared the heck out of me breaking their guitars, and screaming!! LMAO And so it began,,,,

Anonymous said...

I was in the first row of the balcony. I still remember the compression of my chest when the sound wave from Clapton's first strike sprang from all of those Marshall's. Wonderful moment in my life.

Michael Sherrer said...

Thank you for sharing. You can see Eric's intense power of focus & concentration.
Michael SHERRER. Thanks for alerting us on FACEBOOK.

jthurston@gvtc.com said...

Thanks for the posting and the photos. My brother and I (ages 11 and 14 at the time) were at this show. It was the first rock concert we had attended, our parents drove us to the college and dropped us off. We both remember Cream opening with "Tales of Brave Ulysses". We just sat there, stunned by the sheer force of what we were hearing and hearing. Pretty much changed our lives permanently, musically and otherwise. I have never forgotten that moment. Oh, and we thought the American Breed were lightweights way before that night....

Nichael Cramer said...

Thank you posting this. Thanks to my friend Dave's mom (who seemed to have amazing skills with this kind of thing) their were about seven of us who had seats in the middle of the second row for the show.

I also recall that there was a big snow storm that night. I ended up being the designated driver, and driving back home (to rural Hancock county) we slid off the road twice in my dad's new van.

And, checking my dates, I see that we also went to the Teen America Building at the Muncie fairground the following Weds (27 Mar, 1968) to see --are you ready for this-- Jimi Hendrix!

Quite a good month for concerts...

Unknown said...

I was also there on March 22, 1968. I can probably reconstruct the whole set let from other notes, but I remember as others have mentioned, the amazing blast of sound after the first verse of "Tales of Brave Ulysses." I remember 6 songs making up the whole concert:

Tales of Brave Ulysses
NSU
Crossroads
Train Time
Sunshine of Your Love
(don't remember the sixth! Anyone out there?)

MKT said...

I was there. I was 18. I may wrong about some of my memories but I believe American Breed ended their performance playing Green Light wearing Mickey Mouse ears. Really bad. Then came Cream. I was blown away. I remember Clapton almost standing on tip toes adjusting amps. This is also in my mind...between songs someone yelled out "pussies!" and Jack Bruce said "sorry we don't play requests. I thought is was hilarious. I hope that's true...someone tell me if you remember that. Also during a long drum solo someone came out and put a Coke on Baker's drum. I think it was during Toad. I think they played Toad. He kept playing while picking up the bottle and drinking and you couldn't tell he quit playing with that hand. Loved Cream...still do.

Unknown said...

MKT: I will go with "Toad" as the 6th song, on your recollection. Sorry I don't remember about the "pussies" or the Coke, but you are probably right about those. I remember Clapton going back behind his amplifier for a while, during a long drum solo. The pictures and the recollections of the original poster are priceless. Thank you!