Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Worth 1k words...


Let me start out by saying my ex-wife is a genuinely good person.
We were married 26 years and I accept at least half of the blame for the relationship being derailed - actually, I'll be magnanimous and claim more than half of the blame.
Nevertheless, most people who know her will acknowledge that she's wrapped a little tight.
Her present husband Bill, likewise, is a genuinely nice guy. He and I get along fine and I think the two of them are happy and well-matched.
But he can be a party animal.
Last September, when our eldest son got married, the ceremony was followed with a beautifully planned and executed reception. It was a joyous occasion and the libations flowed freely.
At one point in the proceedings, Bill and the bride's stepmother - an elegant, lithe, arty woman from New England - got caught up in a wild dancing frenzy.
Maria and I were the designated photographers and one of us - I don't recall who - shot this photo of Bill and the stepmom cavorting while my ex looks askance.
I know that look. It's the one she used to give me when I crossed over the line of decorum, usually while under the influence of alcohol.
I think it's a wonderful photo, reminiscent of the style of the legendary crime photographer Weegee. Or maybe even the great Henri Cartier Bresson, master of the "decisive moment."
I'd think it was a terrific picture, even if I didn't know the people or the story behind it.
Any comments?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! the moment was captured perfectly and if even 2 seconds longer the resignated look would have been replaced.
I thought that even before I read your journal entery too.The picture was so perfect it looked "set up". '
Its a keeper!
Lyn

Ps Happy belated birthday! I just turned into the 41 mile marker myself.I feel as if I turned the corner and have to look up and around and am facing a huge mountain. Glad to read your posts as usual, thank you!

The Oracle said...

Thanks for the comments, folks. BTW, if you click on the photo, you can see a bigger version of it.

Totsie said...

I love that you don't even have see her face to know that she is sexy, because we all are when our arms are up like that. Isn't that why men spin us?

Great pic.