Tuesday, August 05, 2014

New router

router

I spent a couple of hours this morning installing a new router – a Linksys AC1900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router with Gigabit & USB 3.0 Ports, Smart Wi-Fi App Enabled to Control Your Network from Anywhere (EA6900).

It lists for $199.99 and sells on Amazon.com for $160.99, but I’m testing it for a review on Amazon through the Vine program.

It replaced a Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router that I bought on June 13, 2011 on clearance at Best Buy when my previous router went belly-up.

The setup was startlingly easy and most of the time was spent getting various devices in the house to sync with the new router. I never did get the smart TV in Maria’s sewing room to recognize it, but so far it syncs with my iPhone, my Kindle Paperwhite, my netbook, our Sony Blu-Ray player and Maria’s laptop. When they get home, I’ll get Maria and Morgan’s iPhones and Kindles and Morgan’s laptop connected as well.

I think the coverage is a little better in the living room than with the old router. The new unit has three antennae that presumably can be adjusted to focus the signal. Our desktop computers are hardwired into the router and mine seems to run a bit faster.

No comments: